Be a part of "Searching for Little Saigon in America."
I was on my flight to Irvine when I drafted these questions. As I hope to put this entire project into book form, I am slowly working on a long form essay to help build this narrative. But it can't just be from literary research. I need to get stories from others in it just as much as I want to put the photographs in. If you want to be photographed and/or be a part of this story, "Searching for Little Saigon in America" kindly email me: firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the following questionnaire. I would love to photograph and interview you!
- Where were you born in Vietnam?
- What were some of your fondest memories?
- What were some of your worst memories?
- When did you leave Vietnam?
- When did you arrive in America?
- What were your first impressions of America? Did America fulfill those impressions and or goals that you had before coming to America?
- What do you miss from Vietnam?
- How long have you been living in the United States?
- What foods do you miss from Vietnam if you cannot find them or the ingredients here?
- Has the transition from Vietnam to America changed the food, the way you eat, and or the way the food is prepared in any way?
- Are all or some of your family members living outside of Vietnam?
- Do you plan on going back to Vietnam in the near future? If so what kind of memories and traditions do you miss there that you can't recreate in the US?
- How did you situate in your current location?
- What are your dreams for the future? For yourself, your spouse and or children?
- Did you meet the goals or dreams in America that you dreamed of before coming to the country?
- How do you see Vietnamese culture in America? Is it the same as in Vietnam or has it transformed? For better or for worse?
- What traditions of your family do you hope to be passed on?
- What do you think of the food in America? The culture of food? Has it affected Vietnamese cuisine?